5. THE KNIGHT BUS. The bus first appears in The Prisoner of Azkaban. It picks Harry up after he runs away from his Muggle home in Privet Drive and takes him to the Leaky Cauldron. It is purple with 3 decks, at night it has beds, curtained windows and a large chandelier hanging all the way down from the ceiling 3 decks up. It’s primary function is to assist stranded witches and wizards through public transport and operates at very fast speeds. The conductor is Stan Shunpike and the driver is Ernie Prang.
4. BROOMSTICKS. Witches and wizards use these as a means to transport themselves between locations. The basic command before mounting a broom is “up”. Harry and his school friends are first introduced to brooms in the Philosopher’s Stone by Professor Hooch. Harry turns out to be a very good master of the broom and is enroled into the Griffindor Quidditch Team as Seeker. In the Deathly Hallows broomsicks are used by members of the Order to escort Harry safely from Privet Drive.
3. APPARITION: This is the magical action of traveling by the user focusing on their desired location in their mind. They then turn on the spot causing them to disappear from their current location and appearing at their destination. It is the quickest way to travel and very popular, but if not done correctly can be disastrous. Apparition can feel very unpleasant to some user’s, Harry said it felt like “being forced through a tight rubber tube”. Dumbledore said that some people had been known to vomit at their first attempt. As a person apparates there is a noise which sounds like a car backfiring, although when House Elves apparate it sounds like a loud crack.
2. FLOO NETWORK: The network is comprised of fireplaces interconnected to all the wizarding buildings. It allows the user to transport themselves to any of the other fireplaces in the network. The user take a handful of Floo Powder, steps into the fireplace, say’s aloud their destination and then throws down the powder. harry first used this method in the Chamber of Secrets to travel from the Wealey’s to Diagon Alley, unfortunately he was so nervous he said “Diagonally” ending up in Borgin and Birks in Knockturn Alley.
1. PORTKEYS: These are magically enchanted objects which transport people to a pre-determined destination. One portkey can transport more than one person at a time but only to one destination. Portkeys can be preset to leave a location at a certain time. It was a portkey like this that transported Harry and Hermione, along with the Weasleys, Amos and Cedric Diggory to the Quidditch World Cup in the Goblet of Fire. Barty Crouch Jr posing as Professor Moody enchanted the Triwizard Cup which took Harry and Cedric to Voldermort’s fathers grave.